Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A slice of Pi.

This book, and this author is amazingly apt at saying very frank and difficult things about both the theist and atheist without them batting an eye.
In one story, or perhaps it is two, he derides the secularist (or perhaps the realist) for its shortcomings and commends the believer for their delusion.

I once did the reverse but have slowly found myself agreeing with Mr Yann Martel. I have been tempered by my own suffering. As I curdled in my depression I cared very little about it's realities. I used to despise faith as a crutch, forcing people to hobble around. But I think now I have been forced to see the ailments that plague us. Suffering is cruel enough without the added knowledge that it serves no ultimate purpose, or that it is not underpinned by promises of greater eternities.
For those strong enough, than yes, religion is best done away with. A strong leg need not be wrapped in a cast, and it is a shame when such a case is found.
I thought I was strong, and maybe I was once. But I fell. And the problem with a delusion is that it dies upon it's discovery. Self-delusion would have been a boon these harsh winters, but it is a tool I discarded long ago, in favour of other things that it could not sit with. I have come to question the utility of my choices. I like being consistent. I like being brave. I love the fact that my mind is so fearless.
But I don't like the misery. Passion is so much more scarce when you limit yourself to the real, and I am wanting, craving, and NEEDING to be a passionate man again. I HATE my apathys.


They are deluded with myths, and happy.
I am right with reason. and miserable.


To no longer need the evils of delusion to bring happiness,
I will strive to build a happiness in the dimensions of reality.

with some very weak legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment