Monday, April 29, 2013

Quitting Facebook

It seems like a good idea, but for the fear that it will isolate me even more than it already does.

But there's just too much shit. Lazy shit. MY lazy shit too.

For starter's, with that volume of people, each spouting whatever it is their agenda leads them to do you cannot help but begin to categorize. It is too tempting to reduce them to a few adjectives, rather than appreciate the reality of their personality.

Also its a highly negative place. To properly engaged anything on a medium like facebook, across text and in front of such a theatre requires time and effort that most anyone is unwilling to invest. Instead we follow the path of least resistance. 'So-and-so disagrees with me or says what he/she says because they are stupid.'

Also facebook activism usually doesn't work. TL;DR. As a place of convenience, it is designed to let people see what they want to see. Ignorance is only a single ignore button away.

I said once that by concerning yourself with the best in people, that's what you get in return. But the best of people is often the part that they like to hide. Especially from the likes of Facebook. If I want to really know people facebook isn't the place to start.

So I'm leaning towards the quit. I'm scared. I'm already pretty lonely and I'm concerned that this will exacerbate such a feeling. But perhaps I should be focusing on having good quality relationships rather than thousands of dodgy online ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment