Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Thoughts on The Spooky Art by Norman Mailer - Part 1


This isn’t even a book review, as just a few reflections on some very interesting anecdotes.

I was loaned this book by Netna Ngyuen, and good friend of mine whom shares an interest in the literary world, and told to plunge its depths for some treasured motivation, a commodity I am consistently lacking.

It’s fantastic work so far. It is not literary genius, but rather a one-way conversation with a brilliant and experienced writer. The insights he has afforded so far have been delectable. Certain adages he serves up have wonderfully edified many of my own infantile theories regarding the truths of the industry. I have taken these as a sign that I am on the right track. Though I hesitate to be too presumptuous in my understanding of these things, for if I am a writer, than I am one who produces very little for all his mental rhetoric.

A particular succinct paragraph defined every writer as a closet philosopher. Such a sentiment ringed in such a harmony with my own mind; I felt myself flutter a little (though I would hardly call myself ‘closet’.) I think it is part of why I take stock in my own endeavour. Written form cannot be removed from the source that motivated its birthing, and the ideas that push me to write are great pearls of wisdom, handed down by giants, purged and refined by the great fires of reason. I have no doubt of their relevance, their potential; they have been proved many times over. It is merely my ability to convey them that now comes under trial.

One particular chapter that I have found quite relevant explores in depth the rewriting of his final draft for the novel The Deer Park. There are fundamentals of novel writing that he explores in such frank terms that I hope will do much to save myself from making similar mistakes. In particular he alludes to the writing style of the novel, which is narrated in the first person and how initially it failed to reconcile with the nature of the protagonist, and his significance in the plot.
These insights are really opening up the world of fiction writing to me, making it tangible and less alien.

It is worth mentioning that I have read none of his works, though I am now inspired to. He does however have credentials to his name, and so far it is on these wherein I hold my respect for his words. I look forward to approaching his works with his memoirs in mind, as I feel it will give me a more complete understanding of his lifetime as a writer.
This book I think will do much to set me on my journey. I shall share more reflections upon further readings. I will not be going through the book too systematically, as the book is itself far from systematic. I will probably just 'go with the flow' on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment