Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Run Lola Run, and all the pretty words...

Run Lola Run

bizarre German film, defying norms with eccentric audio visual devices that I struggle to cement into plausible motifs.
Fate. Destiny. Purpose. I appreciate those notions only in the sense one would appreciate dragons and the nuances of the Force: voyages of high fantasy.
Reality diminishes films with its sincerity and realism. But like anything, the better you get it at the more you enjoy it. It's a beautiful place to dwell.
Escapism is a trait I don't seek in film very often nowadays, I have video games for that. Explore reality well and you'll have me hooked. It's too beautiful.
That being said, some facets glimmer more brightly in the light of such devices, but it's the real that shines in amongst the scatterings of narrative. I am too enchanted with my current state of naturalism to own notions of destiny. I am not special enough to find it so engrossing. No one is.
But they are oh so comforting, it is difficult to escape them in current circles without appearing to be the despairing cynic. The motif is ridiculous but only because it is too nice. And it's not nice if it's not real.


We studied language today, treated with the typography of Stephen Fry's pontifications on the subject. It served to reinforce a sentiment I struggle to succinctly express my gratitude for:
Words are beautiful, and English beautiful for that reason, despite it's bastard nature, its irreverent conventions and utter disrespect for norms boundaries. There is such utility in its paint brushes; spectrums of colour, tone, style and light. The opportunities it provides to erode our inferences and synchronize our experiences are limitless. The complexity of other sentience becomes realized! What a special privilege to be afforded, to have such capacity to empathize, and to ultimately understand.

But words need understanding before appreciation, as with all things. But they lack the impact of other mediums, the instant transformation of music, the teleportation that is a painted masterpiece. I wish I could supplement my expressions accordingly. It might make me more accessible.

That's enough for now. It's weird ramblings too, but that's okay. The meanings might be harder to decipher but they are more complete in their burrows, and it takes me far less effort to leave them there.

I need to write a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment